Friday, February 28, 2014

Letter writing...sadly a treasured thing of the past.

 My parents.  The sweetest, kindest and most thoughtful couple you could ever know.  I have had the privilege of knowing them my entire life.  I am sorry for anyone who is missing out on knowing them.

My parents are very faithful communicators, whether it be by phone, e-mail, or letter writing.  I have a dusty box full of treasured letters that they wrote to me while I was in college and through the years.  My dad, in particular, was a very faithful letter writer.  When I was in college (long before cell phones and e-mail) I used to be very excited to get his letters.  Always full of news from home, which is what I wanted to hear.  Always full of wisdom and advice.  Always full of love.

Last time I was in Minnesota visiting them, he even pulled out a love letter he had written to my  mother before they were married.  First I was touched that he still had it, impressed beyond anything that he knew where it was, and even more amazed at the love it contained, and his amazing gift of writing.  I always thought he could have made his living as a writer.



I am the grateful recipient of these letters still.  Every once in a while I get a little note, usually with a portion that each of them wrote individually.  They cut out interesting articles to send to me, sometimes with items highlighted.  Mom always has the best stationery with matching envelopes, and the letters and envelopes are full of seasonal stickers.  It is so precious.


I can picture them at their desk, writing the notes, or sitting here on their porch reading the newspaper and deciding to cut out an article to send to me.  These little things are so meaningful, and such an act of love. 


I love my mom and dad.  And I am so grateful for all of the letters and notes and articles I get from them.  I hope I have the patience to do the same when I am a grandparent.

No comments:

Post a Comment