Thursday, August 2, 2012

Rocky Mountain National Park

We had one day set aside for driving Trail Ridge Rd., which is the highest paved highway in the country, but the day we had set aside turned out to be a rainy, dreary day.  We decided to go ahead anyway, and ended up getting some beautiful pictures.  There was something magical about driving up the road and looking down on the misty clouds that hovered around the mountains.  We felt like we had stepped into the Lord of the Rings book and were looking down on the Misty Mountains.  We practically expected to see an elf running the slopes or a dragon coming around the corner!




No words are sufficient to describe the beauty of these mountains.  We were absolutely awed.



Personally, I fell in love with all the evergreen woods - I guess it reminded me of the woods that I grew up around in the mountains of Northern California.  I really felt like I could just become a mountain woman and live in these woods forever...





Here is Jacob just staring out the huge window looking at the spectacular view from the Visitor Center.  When we reached the top of this drive (at approximately 12,000 feet) I have to say I felt very lightheaded and dizzy.  It went away after a few minutes... 


 Yes - this is snow!  At the bottom of the park the temperature was in the 80's.  By the time we reached the top it was in the 40's!!  









No comments:

Post a Comment